Friday, September 11, 2015

4 Things I Liked On The Internet This Week



I'm back today sharing all of the things I've been digging on the Internet over the last week! So let's not dilly-dally, ya bunch-a-dilly-dallyers. Here's what's good:

Ice Bun

This morning in NYC, it's a nippy 70 degrees outside, but if you're still living somewhere hot and miserable, then I've got some fun information for you! Kelly Bourdet recently wrote a piece for Refinery 29 about an ingenious hairstyle she calls the "ice bun" and by the way, it's exactly what it sounds like. You stick an ice cube in a bun and go about your merry way. How do you keep it from leaking all over your face and neck? I have no idea, but if you try it out, let me know! (Props to my sis for sending this article my way)

Disappearing roommate

This story from Just A Trace had me all like -- wait WHAT?! It's the true-life account of a woman named Tina whose freshman roommate suddenly disappeared without warning. There is an unexpected twist at the end that is as good as any M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Apply Magic Sauce

Did you know that Facebook knows you better than you know yourself? Well, that's not necessarily true, but according to the good folks at the University of Cambridge, Facebook can indicate a whole damn lot about the person you are. They've created an API test called Apply Magic Sauce with an algorithm that predicts your "psycho-demographic profile" based on your Facebook likes, with categories including age, sexual orientation, religion, and political inclinations. And you know it's totally accurate because, according to Apply Magic Sauce, my Facebook likes indicate that I am more intelligent than 92% of the population.

Via Apply Magic Sauce

It also predicted that I might be a gay man, but let's not split hairs here.

Periscope ideas

Periscope! It's a miracle, right? I pretty much click on every Periscope session I see in my Twitter feed because I'm a big ol' stalky stalker. There's just something so exciting about these interactive live-streamed videos, and I've been itching to try it out for myself. However, I've been feeling a little self-conscious about it because every blogger seems to be preaching the idea of using Periscope as a way to do consultations and teach stuff about blogging or business, which I'm not going to lie -- that's just not my thing. But then, Katie from Something Winnderful posted a blog post this week titled "How To Use Periscope as a Non-Business/Consulting Blogger" filled with tons of creative ideas for how to use this awesome platform in a not-so-business way. After reading it, I heaved a sigh of relief, and I'm pretty sure (nay, CERTAIN) you will see me on Periscope very, very soon!

Welp! That's all I've got for you, frands. Have a freakin fantastic weekend!

What were some of your favorite favorite finds on the Internet this week?

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I feel pretty lucky to be mentioned among some other great bloggers (and by one of the greats yourself)...off to try the ice bun now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on Periscope too and watch the live feeds of everyone I follow. I did one scope last week and I was so nervous lol. I feel like I don't really have much to say though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't jumped on the periscope train but I have a feeling I should? I have never watched one either! I feel old and behind. I'm not hip on what these here kids are up to. :P

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts